January 18, 2012

A Work in Progress... :)

(This is a post I wrote on sunday but apparently saved as a draft instead of posting it :P)

     This morning I woke up half an hour before breakfast and got ready for the day. Breakfast was pretty normal and I got ready to head back up to the dorm. As I was getting up to leave, Randy asked if I was going to be volunteering on the carrot belt to help raise money for our Senior mission trip. I was on the 8-11am shift and it was already 8:05 so I ran down to the MG barn. I was almost immediately reminded how much I did NOT like sorting carrots, and how pointless it was for me to even be there, as I am going on our mission trip anyway.
    My first reaction was to go talk to one of the class officers and bail out of it. Our class Vice-President, Shannon, walked by and the words "I'm actually gonna go chill at the dorm. I don't want or need to be here." were on their way out of my mouth, but something stopped them.
     That "something" was the realization that every time I am faced with something I don't like or don't want to do, I quit. If anything is remotely hard and there is any way to get out of it, human nature takes over, and I avoid it. I haven't always had that habit.
     Before I came to Fountainview, I was REALLY into competitive running. I was on the MCHS (my old public school) Cross Country team. One thing I learned from running is that no matter what, never quit. When it hurts, keep going. When you feel like your head will explode, move faster. When you want to quit and go to Krispy Kreme, try harder.
     Sometimes I really wanna hit my snooze button and sleep through life, but it's so much better when I get my lazy butt out of bed and do something. It ended up being a huge blessing to wash carrots today because I realized my need for Christ's attitude yet again. Christ did a lot of things that He probably didn't really prefer. He knew all along the plan of salvation - that He would die for the world as a sacrifice for our sins - didn't He? But in the Garden of Gethsemane He still begged the Father to "let this cup pass from Me". He didn't want to do it. But the last half of the verse is the most important... "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done." The Father gave Jesus strength when it counted. And even though the salvation of the world being is not at stake over washing carrots, God gave me strength today. I prayed about it throughout the whole *very long* 3 hour shift, and I made it through and actually had some fun throwing carrots at Moses, Ruthie, David, Mai-Ying, Heather and ChoJohn. (I'll have you know that Ruthie Molina has a mean carrot-missile throwing arm). All in all it was a great day and its really awesome to find myself praying without forcing myself. This whole "Jesus as my friend" thing has really been a blessing.

Don't forget to pray for Zach! :) Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment