January 06, 2012

A New Year... What will we do with it?

     During the next year, I will graduate, get my full license, start college, get a job and a car, and lots more. 2012 is a pretty big year.
     Many people make crazy new year's resolutions and insane goals for their new year. What about you? This year I would really like to stop biting my nails, obtain more patience, become a better runner and flutist, etc. My biggest resolution for this year, and particularly the next half of a year, is to become a stronger Christian. As my plans stand right now, I will be going to a public University once I leave my quiet, sheltered haven here at Fountainview. Even with all of its sometimes crazy rules and expectations, this school really is one of the most incredible places on Earth. I am surrounded with great influences and a variety of cultures from all over the world, 24/7.
     Going home for this past break was a real wake up call for me. I have to get serious about my faith and my relationship with God if I am going to be able to stay strong at the University of Kentucky. Don't get me wrong, I am totally stoked to go there. I am just a little nervous about going there. Part of me says to just avoid this problem and go to an Adventist college. I got accepted to Southern Adventist University, and a lot of my really good friends go there. Supposedly that would be "easier" on my faith. Honestly, I don't know about that. At an Adventist college, it would be easier to think, "Well if they're Adventist and they can do that, the n SURELY I am okay." Each school has it's own set of problems. My friends express their concern about me going to UofK because i will lose my relationship with God, start doing drugs, drinking, and having sex; because we all know that it is IMPOSSIBLE for a Christian to attend a public university and uphold Christ's high standard. *sarcasm*
      Just this morning I read in my devotions Matthew 26. This is the chapter talking about Jesus' betrayal all the way up to Peter's denial 3 times. This chapter was more relevant than ever to me. While getting warnings from my friends is a little less serious than actually getting a warning from Christ, it's quite similar. Christ warned Peter that Peter would betray him 3 times before the cock crowed - kind of like my friends are warning me that a public university will eradicate my relationship with God. Much like Peter, I am finding myself thinking, "NO! I will be fine, okay?! MY faith is strong enough. I CAN DO THIS. Just stop with all of this because I am going to prove you guys wrong." Peter thought the same things about Christ's warning.
     I don't remember where I read about it but it seems that maybe it was EGW that was saying that if Peter would have taken the time leading up to his "testing" to study, pray and depend on God, then he could have withstood the temptations before him. I am pretty sure that - at least to an extent - Christ WARNED Peter that this would happen so that he could be prepared.
     I have 6 more months at Fountainview until my "testing" begins. I praise the Lord for my devotions this morning because now I am really aware of what I need to be doing with it. I have to let go of my pride, pick up my Bible, get on my knees and brace myself for what's ahead.
     I would really like to go to Southern, too. I have a lot of friends down there that I would really like to get close to. When it comes down to it though, I feel like God is calling me to go to the University of Kentucky. My sisters aren't doing so well and I would really like to be at home with them. I have been away from home for most of high school. Once college is over, I will end up married and moved out of the house for good before i know it and I really need to focus on them. The way I see it, I shouldn't focus my efforts on the rest of the world until my own family has been revived.
    Also, if anyone out there is reading this, my friend Zach Myers is currently deployed with the US Army to not such a great place and I would REALLY appreciate it if you could pray for him. He doesn't have phone or internet, just snail mail once a month. Its kind of a stressful thing not to know what is going on with him, but all we can do is pray. Thanks!

"Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." - 1 John 3:18

No comments:

Post a Comment