February 22, 2012

Out with the old, In with the new... :)

At the end of this past summer, I was in a pretty awesome hardcore dirt biking accident. I broke my wrist, chipped my tooth, and got a pretty good concussion out of the whole deal. Over Christmas break, we found out that, while the bone in my wrist is healed for the most part, I have some ligament damage in there that will need to be fixed surgically. The surgery has a pretty long recovery period (depending on what all they have to fix once they get in there) so we decided that I would have to wait until this coming summer after graduation for me to have the surgery. My hand still functions completely normally. The only problem is that it's always tingly and painful. In order to try and minimize my pain between then and my surgery, I was told to minimize the use of that hand/arm. It's my left hand, and I am left handed, so that was a pretty stupid idea, I thought. This included playing flute too!


I came back to school and told Craig that I couldn't play anymore. Shortly after that, I decided to take up piano, as the piano is apparently a more "neutral" position for my wrist than the flute (or something like that). I have had one lesson so far and it's going GREAT! I like piano a lot. 


The moral of the story is this: why does God allow pain to happen? The pain in my wrist let me know that there was a problem in there. A problem that needed to be fixed. Pain and suffering in this world lets us know that there is a problem with it. It's called the sin problem and it needs to be fixed. Just like my wrist will need surgery, we all need God to do a heart surgery on us to replace our cold, stony hearts. We can take "pain killers" like relationships, money, status, and lots of other things to help us forget that something is wrong. However, just like Advil doesn't fix the core problem in my wrist, these things don't make our ailment go away. So whenever you feel like you're going through a lot and you don't understand why God is allowing things to happen to you, remember: it's a reminder from God that this world is not our home so we shouldn't get too comfortable here.


Makes me homesick for Heaven though, how about you?


He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
--Revelation 21:4

2 comments: