February 26, 2012

Chicken Pox, Check-ups, Confinement and Hydrotherapy :)

For the past 3 days, I have been confined to my room. My 4 hall mates have to use a different bathroom, and I am not allowed to use the hall phone, or even venture out to the lobby. Why you ask? Well, on Friday we found out that my friend John LaVanture has Chicken Pox. I have had a strange rash on my legs for about a month now, but all of the sudden this rash became a big deal.

You see, originally I went to the deans about my ring toe (the fourth one, right beside the pinkie toe :P) because in vespers it started to hurt like crazy! When Mr. Rasmussen and Mr. James got to looking at my leg, they kind of assumed that I had chicken pox. (because John has chicken pox?) So with that, I was confined to my room. And it has been wonderful. Haha!

Yesterday I watched some sermons on Rosa's little portable DVD player that she brought for me. I also read a book by Doug Bachelor called Who Do You Think You Are? about our identities in Christ. Very, very powerful little book.

On Friday night I noticed a big, long, red streak going from my hurt toe all the way up to 2 inches past my ankle. I pretty much started freaking out and insisting that we take me to a doctor (or just skip a step and take me right to the morgue). You see, that streak meant that the infection in my puffy, painful little toe was trying to spread all over my body and kill me! (hi, my name is melodramatic! What's yours?)

So anyways... We did hot and cold treatment on it since it was already about 10pm. *Side note: Hot and Cold treatment is a form of self torture natural remedy where you stick the affected limb into a tub of scolding hot water, as hot as you can stand, for 3 minutes. Then you have another tub, full of freezing cold water, on standby. The 2nd tub is there so that at the end of your 3 minutes in the hot water you may thrust your poor, afflicted appendage into this subzero pool of misery for 30 whole seconds! You know what you do after that? Repeat the process about 5 times. Haha!*

So yeah! We did that to my foot on Friday night and then around 11pm finally got to sleep. We got up at 1am to make sure that the red streak wasn't spreading, or else we'd have to go to the ER at one in the morning. Thank goodness it wasn't moving, so we went back to bed. Woke up yesterday morning to find that my toe was a little more swollen, so I called my daddy, who is a medical Superman (paramedic). He said that I should go to the doctor and get antibiotics, and/or try soaking it in Epsom salt. I soaked my foot for 2 hours in Epsom salt, and then put a charcoal poultice on it for the rest of the day. 12,000IUs of vitamin D and 8,000-10,000mg of vitamin C later, the red streak is completely gone as of last night, as is most of the pain in my toe! Praise the Lord!

I still have the rash on my legs and whatever, so I am still quarantined. I have an appointment at the clinic on Monday, so hopefully when they tell us that I, in fact, do NOT have chicken pox! then hopefully I will be unleashed allowed to return to my normal civilian life. Although I am ready to escape the confinement of these four walls, I will admit that I have thoroughly enjoyed having the bathroom to myself. :) Anyways, that's life right now.

Wear your seatbelt, take your Vitamin C, and tell your family you love them!

PS - I love you gram, mommy, daddy, Libby, Maddi, Allie, the rest of the Hasty crew, Uncle Mel and his clan! You're all the cooliest!

PPS -
*24 days until my mission trip to Honduras
*3 months 13 days until Jr/Sr Campout (crazy! I remember my jr year campout like it was yesterday!)
*3 months 25 days till grad
*6 months 18 days until my 18th birthday! :P haha

No comments:

Post a Comment